Right after sunrise and before sunset, the sun can shine directly into drivers’ eyes, leaving many motorists dazzling. This glare can make visibility on the road much more difficult and the potential dangers creating additional risk for drivers.
Glare from the sun can strike a driver unexpectedly at any time, but is most often felt:
- During winter – the sun is closer to the horizon, and the sun also rises and sets during peak periods. If you travel east in the morning and west in the afternoon, you will be dazzled by the sun twice a day.
- Exiting a tunnel or built-up area – if the tunnel is long enough, your eyes will adjust to relative darkness, so stepping out into bright light you cannot see. High-rise buildings can protect you from the sun, and when moving through less urbanized streets, the sun can be a problem.
- From reflections – the sun will reflect off windows of buildings, the windshields of other vehicles and, when wet, the road surface.
How to protect yourself from the sun’s glare
While this glare is impossible to avoid, if you prepare yourself and your vehicle, you will have the best chance of staying safe.
- Wear good quality polarized glasses as they are the best for combating glare. A good pair of sunglasses can significantly help block the glare of the weak winter sun. Look for polarized specs, which are covered with a thin film designed to reduce glare. Not only will polarized sunglasses reduce glare from the sun, but they will also protect your eyes from the harmful effects of the sun.
- Use your vehicle’s sun visor to block the sun.
- Keep your windshield clean, inside and out. Dust and grime on the windshield can make the effects of the sun worse.
- Stay back from the vehicle in front as you might not see their brake lights as easily – give yourself a little more room to brake, and also a little extra buffer for any vehicles behind you that might hound you.
Polarized safety glasses PROSAFE KULYA
The new KULYA polarized safety glasses from PROSAFE with Cat 3 polarized lenses offer protection against sun glare and good UV protection. A sleek wrap-around design and matte black frame mean these safety glasses can take you from home to the job site and anywhere in between.
- Full wrap-around frame design for durability with a wide view
- Solid TPR rubber nose pads and arm grips for all-day comfort
- Polarized lens – Cat 3, will provide protection against sun glare
- Coated lens to prevent fogging
- Coated lens protects against light surface abrasion
- Available in both smoke or green tinted lens options
- Comes with a microfiber storage bag / dual-use lens cleaner
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have any news or information, contact us at éditorial@governmentnews.com.au.
Subscribe to the Government News newsletter